Saturday, February 04, 2017

Day Three (sort of) and Day Four #Worldwatercolorgroup Challenge - February

First the easy one:

Day Four - Fruit

Bonus, you get to eat the subject afterwards. Not always the case, especially if you're a portrait artist. This was fun. Note to self - sketch more fruit. Then eat it.


The reason I skipped Day Three? The prompt was "fossil", now I could be a jolly japester and paint an old person but I'm trying to be polite. We do have one fossil, for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called. Sons bought it on one of their visits to Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh. It would be an interesting sketch so I may come back to this if I get the time to look for it.

With this in mind, I thought of something that would still encourage creativity. My other favourite - reading. And there's only one book that came to mind.

Remarkable Creatures

By the author of two of my favourite books (The Girl with the Pearl Earring and The Lady and the Unicorn if you're asking), this is the story of Mary Anning. An amazing woman with an intriguing life. Once again the familiar tale of a woman's scientific achievements either being accredited to men or dismissed altogether. She overcame this adversity to become one of the most renowned palaeontologists of the 1800s.

Hey, maybe instead of sketching a fossil I don't remember the name of I should do a quick sketch of Mary instead? (Dangerous as I'm not a portrait artist at all and avoid people where I can.)

Watch this space!



No comments: