Wednesday, May 25, 2011

30 Days Movie Challenge Day 8

Day 8: Favorite thriller


This is another older film, but the story behind when I first saw it is the reason why this is my favourite thriller.


Late night, German B&B on the outskirts of Hahn where we were due to fly home the next day (back in the days when Ryanair weren't so pernickity about their whole buying a ticket then adding everything else on gig.)  The then other half (now someone else's problem entirely) fast asleep and me flicking through the channels.  I don't know what it is but there is something comforting about listening to programmes in languages you barely understand beyond the niceties of tourism.


I then come across this film, just starting, and my first though is "there's that woman from Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em!"  So there I pause.  It is a British film, set in France and on this occasion dubbed into Italian for the Rai station (whatever that is called now I have no idea, rather than have an interesting selection of channels from our European cousins our satellite is filled to the brim with Indian and Pakistani channels, some of which I urge you not to look too closely at or you may be disturbed in your little world over the content.)


Anyway, I watched the whole film, my rusty to the point of decade Italian allowing me to follow the plot - I was gripped.  Soon as I got home I looked for the dvd but to no avail.  It was only released a few years back and on repeat viewing I was still sat there, bug eyed, knowing the ending, knowing the surprises but it was, for the lack of tah-dah soundtrack a true and honest thriller.


This is about two young English girls on a holiday in France, back in the day when such things were exciting and people were less jaded and things were ever so much dangerous!  Things happen, I'm not about to go in to detail in case anyone actually does read this and decides to watch the film - it is full of subtleties and all the scarier for it.  Actually, it is similar in feel to my choice for favourite horror - go figure!


(They remade it in the US last year, as they seem to want to do now and again. I haven't watched it.  I also haven't gone on a bike tour of France but that has more to do with Europe not being as much fun as it used to be.)


And Soon the Darkness












No comments: