Saturday, November 04, 2006

On The Bookshelf

As a vociferous but often disappointed reader I have struck lucky and have just finished reading a good book and am currently reading a good book. If only this would happen more often!

First off I quickly devoured Maggie O'Farrell's The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox which is not only another finely crafted tale of family secrets from O'Farrell but a shocking insight into the wards of a mental asylum in the past century. Still within living memory though so we shouldn't feel too smug. When you become involved in a character such as Esme Lennox you realise how quickly and how unjustly your life can be taken from you. I won't say more as it would spoil a brilliant story.


Secondly I am currently reading the third book from 44 Scotland Street, Alexander McCall Smith's Love Over Scotland. Yet again the characters immediately welcome you in, the only problem with these books is when they end. I do read the daily chapter in The Scotsman whenever I can but in book form I can indulge for hours at a time. I know far too many 'Irene' types I am afraid and if you don't know what I am talking about then I suggest you buy the books, start at the beginning and, like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, you will be hooked!



No comments: